Arizona Employment Services FAQ

  1. What financial aid assistance is available through Arizona agencies?
    You can view student aid programs available in Arizona through the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education (ACPE) on the Arizona Grants web page. The site provides descriptions of each program and their requirements. Some of the programs available for 2018 include:

    • The Arizona Leveraging Education Assistance Partnership (AzLEAP)

    • The Arizona Teacher Student Loan Program

    • The Arizona Family College Savings Program

  3. Are there other scholarships or grants available?
    You can find out about other resources for scholarships and grants by navigating to the AZ Grants Scholarship Resource page. You will find links to various scholarship listings and other resources for educational funding that you can use. For more information, download our free and comprehensive guide, which includes detailed information about grants and other financial aid opportunities available in Arizona.

  5. I received a loan from ACPE before, but I have not met the requirements as outlined in the promissory note. What do I do?
    You should contact the ACPE at 602-258-2435 or through the Arizona Student Financial Aid Programs “Contact Us” page.

  7. I would like to reapply for a student aid program, but I cannot find the application for the program. What should I do?
    Some programs may no longer be active or they may be suspended. You can check the AZ Grants homepage to look over the listings and confirm whether or not the program you wish to apply for is still available.

  9. What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized student loan?
    A subsidized loan means the government will pay on your interest while you are in school. Taking out an unsubsidized loan for your education means that you will be responsible for all the interest that accrues while you are in school. Any student can take out an unsubsidized loan, while only those demonstrating financial need may take out a subsidized loan.

  11. If my parents are undocumented but I am a legal resident, can I apply for FAFSA?
    Yes. The immigration status of your parents does not affect your ability to apply for and receive financial aid to attend college. The FAFSA application will not ask you about the immigration status of your parents. Where the application asks for the Social Security Number (SSN) for your parents, simply enter all zeros. However, because of this, your parents will not be able to obtain a FAFSA ID number, so they will have to sign a hard copy and mail it in.

  13. Can I use the FAFSA if I am an undocumented immigrant?
    Those who do not have a legal immigration status are not eligible for financial aid for college. However, there are some states, such as California and Texas, that offer special grants to undocumented college students. You may also find private scholarships available to you.

  15. I received my Wage Statement (Form UB-107) but it is wrong. What can I do?
    You should file a wage protest as soon as possible. You can find out more about your Wage Statement and how to file a wage protest by visiting the Arizona Department of Economic Security (ADES) website page dedicated to UB-107 and wage statements. Even if your Wage Statement is incorrect, you must continue to file your weekly claims.

  17. What happens if I have recently left the military?
    Your eligibility for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits depends on the reason why you left the military or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA). Your Service Member Copy No. 4 of form DD-214 is a requirement. Your state of residence when you leave the military or NOAA and first claim UI benefits determines your eligibility. You can obtain a copy of your DD-214 from the Veterans Service Records web page.

  19. What if I worked in another state in addition to working in Arizona?
    If you received wages from more than one state or you live in Arizona but have earned money in two or more states, you can combine all these wages to determine your eligibility. If you were employed in more than one state in any base period, you can file a claim in any state using only the wages earned in that state or file a claim in any state in which you were employed using your combined wages.

  21. Who do I contact if I lose my Electronic Payment Card (EPC)?
    If you lose your EPC you should contact Bank of America Customer Service at 855-847-2030 as soon as possible.

  23. Can I have my unemployment insurance (UI) benefits deposited into my bank account instead of my EPC card?
    You may opt to have your UI benefits deposited directly into a checking or savings account if you prefer. You must fill out the Agreement for Direct Deposit Form (UIB-1091A). This may only be submitted via regular mail. The mailing address and instructions are on the form.

  25. What if I am late for my hearing for an appeal of my UI benefits denial?
    You must call in to your phone hearing 15 minutes prior to the designated time or arrive early for an in-person hearing. If you schedule a hearing and are not there when it begins, the hearing may take place without you present. If you arrive or call in while the hearing is in progress, the administrative judge may allow you to participate.

  27. What should I do if the other party at my hearing is represented by counsel but I am not?
    While you are entitled to an attorney, you often do not need one due to the informal setting. However, if the opposing party has counsel present, you should simply present the evidence pertinent to your own case and adhere to your planned testimony. If the attorney representing the opposing party uses terminology you do not understand, simply ask that it be explained to you. These proceedings are not court trials, so no legal maneuvering is required.

  29. What is an ombudsman?
    An ombudsman is an administrator who helps resolve disputes independently and acts impartially. These administrators help in the case of problems or complaints to solve problems confidentially. However, they have no power to set policy or reverse a decision.

  31. Who can use an ombudsman?
    Any client experiencing issues with any DES program or service may request that an ombudsman intercede when using the normal channels and procedures is not working.

  33. What can an ombudsman do for you?
    An ombudsman can investigate your particular situation and make sure you have been dealt with fairly. An ombudsman will help navigate any issues you may have with the DES and arrive at a fair solution.

    If the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) finds that I was discriminated against, will it take my case to court?

    If the EEOC determines that there was discrimination in your case, it will recommend that the parties reach some sort of settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, it will refer the case to legal staff for review or to the U.S. Department of Justice to determine whether a lawsuit is the appropriate course of action.

  35. What laws are enforced by the EEOC?
    The laws enforced by the EEOC include:

    • Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

    • The Equal Pay Act of 1963.

    • The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.

    • Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

    • Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

    • The Pregnancy Discrimination Act.

  37. If I file a charge of discrimination, will the names of any witnesses I use be revealed?
    The EEOC tries to conceal the names of witnesses, but if a lawsuit is filed, it may be impossible to keep the names confidential. Court proceedings may demand the disclosure of witness names and testimony.

What Kinds of Employment Services Does Arizona Offer?

The state of Arizona offers various programs meant to assist residents who have become unemployed. These employment services include unemployment insurance programs and job training initiatives. To learn about how you can apply for unemployment benefits and receive job assistance in Arizona, download our guide today.

Who Is Eligible for Employment Services in Arizona?

Arizona residents that meet certain criteria can qualify to receive employment benefits and training. The state has set job loss standards that determine the eligibility and amount of benefits an individual may be able to receive. To find out if you are eligible for Arizona unemployment benefits, download our guide now.