Arizona Department of Housing and Urban Development FAQs

Q: If I do not make very much money, then can HUD help me purchase a home?

A: Finding ways to assist people to become homeowners is at the top of the list of the things HUD does. You can learn more about how HUD accomplishes this by referring to our housing guide that explains more about the various federal housing programs that can help people get the homes they want.

Q: Can HUD help me find a mortgage that is best for me?

A: There are several mortgage insurance options to help first-time home buyers. Contact your local HUD office to get a housing counseling agency to discuss all the options available to you. You may also want to call your local housing or community development center to inquire about other programs that may help you.

Q: Who can I contact about an FHA mortgage?

A: Your HUD-approved lender should be able to discuss FHA loans with you.

Q. Who can talk to me about deciding whether or not buying a home is a good idea in my situation?

A: HUD has special counseling agencies that specific function is, in part, to help you decide whether buying a home is right for you. You can contact local offices in your area to discuss housing options.

Q: How can I find out if I will qualify for a mortgage?

A: There are a large number of mortgages available to homebuyers. They all have very different purposes and eligibility requirements. Your best strategy is to investigate as many different mortgage opportunities as you can. You may wish to discuss your options with several lending institutions to see what they think best fits your financial situation and your needs.

Q: Does HUD have any sorts of tools or apps that can help me?

A: HUD’s ‘homebuyer’s kit’ includes a good calculator application to help you figure it out. You may also want to consult a housing counseling agency and ask them to help guide you towards the sorts of mortgages that best suit your needs.

Q: What is the Good Neighbor Next Door program?

A: The Good Neighbor Next Door program provides single-family HUD homes to eligible participants at a 50 percent discount. The program is designed to help sell homes to police and law enforcement officers, school teachers and firefighters. The driving reason behind the program is to improve America’s communities.

Q: Does HUD provide information about purchasing a manufactured home?

A: HUD provides information about manufactured homes as well as other types of home-buying options like how to purchasing a HUD home.

Q: How can I buy a HUD home?

A: After reading our section about how to buy a HUD home you can look at a listing of the properties available. To submit a bid on one of these properties, contact a HUD-approved real estate agent who can submit the offer for you.

Q: Can I sell my house to HUD?

A: No. HUD does not buy houses. Any houses that HUD has to sell are a result of defaults on their mortgages. For more information on how HUD acquires homes and the benefits of buying a house from HUD, download our housing guide.

Q: What do I need to do to sell HUD homes as a real estate broker?

A: HUD has a special section for real estate brokers on the HUD website. The information contained includes how to meet the requirements for certification, how to obtain listings for properties and more.

Q: How can I get listings of HUD homes for sale?

A: The HUD web page shows the homes for sale. The website also includes links to other federal agencies selling homes as well. These listings include locations so you can check on what schools are in the area.

Q: Can I get assistance renting HUD homes?

A: There are several resources available to you. You can use the local public housing authority in your area or read about resources for renters on the federal HUD website or from the state website and look for the information about HUD-subsidized rental units.

Q: How can I apply for Section 8 housing vouchers?

A: In order to apply for Section 8 housing, you must contact your local public housing authority. Be aware that there are often very long waiting lists for Section 8 vouchers, so you may want to apply at several public housing authorities.

Q: If I move to another town, then can I take my Section 8 voucher with me?

A: You may do that, but you will have to contact your local public housing authority, both in your current city as well as your future city.

Q: How can I find someone who accepts Section 8 vouchers?

A: Your local public housing authority should have a complete listing of landlords who will take your Section 8 vouchers.

Q: Can I rent my home to tenants who have Section 8 vouchers?

A: In order to rent your house to tenants who have Section 8 vouchers you must contact your local public housing authority. It can instruct you on how to go about doing that.

Q: If I am unable to make my mortgage payments and I am in danger of losing my home, then can HUD help me?

A: You must contact one of the HUD-approved counseling agencies local to you or call the hotline for Housing Counseling to find information on avoiding foreclosure and your eligibility requirements for assistance programs.

Q: Is there anything I can do if I receive an eviction notice?

A: You should contact someone local who can provide you with legal advice and assistance. You should also look for information about your legal rights and landlord/tenant laws in Arizona.

Q: Can I get grants or loans from HUD to help me make improvements to my home?

A: Read the home improvements section on the HUD website to find out more about this. It includes information on programs available to you as well as advice on making home improvements.

What Kind of Assistance Is Offered by the Arizona HUD?

The Arizona Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) provides various services to state residents. However, applicants must meet income requirements established by the HUD to receive housing loans and vouchers. To learn more about the application details regarding housing benefits, download our guide today.

Who Is Eligible to Receive Housing Assistance in Arizona?

Income and residency requirements are established by the AZ Department of Housing and Urban Development for residents to qualify for housing benefits. Details regarding your income and household typically serve as the basis of an application, but requirements vary. To learn more about the criteria you must meet to obtain housing benefits, please download our guide.